Tuesday, 14 February 2012

A quick tutorial for half-term!


Well for all you lucky peeps who grabbed the 1st issue of the Polka Doodles "The Creative Chronicles" magazine, (part of the Pen and Paper Circle) a big well done and as one of Nikky's DT members, I hope you thoroughly enjoyed this issue and the projects the DT put together for you which the exclusive stamps set and papers. The 2nd issue is out very soon and you can find out all the details HERE.

One of my little extra projects was to make a bookmark which is just perfect for a quick and easy project for the half term to do with the children. I'm going to attempt to write the instructions here for you, so would love to know if you give it a go so I can visit and see your twist on the bookmark.

* * * * * * * * * * *

 Quick bookmarks

This is a great project to do with the children and colours/design can easily be changed to suit their personalities. It is also a clever way to use up our precious scraps!

The super quick bookmark



All you need for this bookmark is an envelope; any size or shape will do! Beware though that the bigger the envelope the bigger the bookmark but using an A4 envelope produces a WOW result!




Cut away one corner and then cover it with your chosen paper or alternatively, colour/doodle. With the children at school, we have covered the envelope corner with old comics! This part is the bit that will slip over the corner of your page.





I have made a topper for my envelope bookmark (details below) and stuck the topper in place (as shown in photo).




A quick bookmark



1] Choose the paper you wish to work with and on the reverse draw out the bookmark template.





2] I began by cutting 7cm x 7cm square from scrap card (as my template) and then drew around it, on the reverse of my paper, 3 times to form a chunky L shape (as shown in the photo). Cut around the solid lines but not the areas scribbled out.






You will be left with shape shown here
 






3] Fold the top triangles inwards as shown in the photo and stick the top triangle down onto the lower triangle.


Now create a topper of your choosing. I have used elements from the stamp set included in "The Creativity Chronicles" but you could use anything to decorate your bookmark.

Next I cut out a scalloped square with a Marianne Designs die, matted onto pink and white card. I have then stamped 3 roses and coloured them with my promarkers/flexmarkers. The topper is then finished with a name plate and ribbon.





Stick the topper to your base ensuring that the corners of the topper align with the bookmark base. Your bookmark is now ready to be used.        

 


So now I am sitting here with my fingers crossed, as I hope you enjoyed my very quick tutorial and I do have a version of this saved on my computer which is a little more detailed, so if you want a copy, please email me. I have been struggling get this on blogger as he was mucking about, so apologies if this tutorial seems a little disjointed.

Have to go and sort out the insurance man now . . .  joys of joys . . . not!

Lou
x

2 comments:

SHARY said...

this is a great idea Lou. A nice quick craft.

Daniele said...

just downloaded the mag and loved your bookmark
hugs