Desk storage from mountboard scraps ...

Should start by saying long post and very photo heavy, so many thanks for reading/looking through the whole post. It's a new challenge over at We Love to Create Challenges and sadly I haven't been joining in as much as I would like but hoping things will now change going forward. Anyhow, here is my project for the "anything goes" challenge ...

It seems like eons have passed since I did anything 3D crafty wise and after a long SATs week, I just wanted to "switch off" and create something without a definite plan. I have used a selection of different sized mount board off cuts/scraps and the project originally started out as a drawer unit, but as is the way, suddenly morphed in to something else ...


(front view)

(top view)

I began by creating the lower drawer and then decided to make a smaller drawer using the mount board bits I had cut off. Next joining everything together and before I knew it, the unit appeared.


I then had a bit of a "doh" moment as the side pieces were too long and I had glued them in place, which meant I couldn't remove them. After having a little word with myself, I decided to add a back panel and yep, another "doh" moment ... it was bloody too short ... ! At this stage, I was about to throw the whole thing away, when I thought "what the ... ", just decorate it and see what happens.


I began by covering it in off cuts of a dotty paper but didn't like that either as thought it highlighted my mistakes, so out came the gesso, pan pastels and gilding flakes, along with the Bella Fleur and Belle Papillion stamps (from Polka Doodles).


I scraped some gesso in the corners and then began stamping on top which left an indent. Using my heat gun I dried the gesso so I could carry on decorating. next I stamped the butterfly randomly over the sides, and then gilded them. Next came the stamped images and to age everything, I lightly sanded everything.


I did the same to the front (as the sides) but used a few more of the floral images to add a contrast to the butterflies.



On the inside, I gilded the floral images as I wanted to create a larger focal point, with no butterflies in sight. I then went over all the edges with burnt umber pan pastel and the sides, front etc with white pearl medium. After all of this, came my favourite but also the really frustrating part ... the faffing ...! Once finished, my unit looked like this ...


I stamped more of the images from Belle Papillion and Bella Fleur sets on to water colour card and using my pan pastels, I water coloured them. After cutting them out (some with the matching dies), I added them to the drawer unit. Once I was happy with their placement, I covered the unit with a good dose of Mod Podge.


The sentiments are from Tim Holtz and lightly colour tinted with pink & burnt umber pan pastel. The drawer handles are from Tonic Studios and the other metal bits from 7 Gypsies. The brads I've had for ages and are from a mixture of companies.


Here are the sides: I've also added some ribbon and lace trim for additional decoration, again sealed with Mod Podge.


Phew ... think that's everything ... ohhh, forgot to add, there is something else but it's not quite finished. Sneak peek below ...


Hope you can join in with us and don't forget to pop over to my teamies blogs as they have created some awe inspiring projects. A little bit of gardening today as the jungle needs a bit of taming, so wish me luck ...

Have a great Sunday,

Lou
x x x

Products and links:



Challenges:
Hiding in my craft room - use up scraps
Sweet Stampin' - shabby chic
Vintage Journey - use a quote
Craft for the craic - anything goes
Creative Artiste - mixed media
Artistic Stamper - flowers
Create & Inspire - anything goes (option flowers)
Creative with stamps - flowers
Let's craft & create - background

Comments

Helen F. said…
This is such a beautiful storage box you created, Lou! You could not find anything this lovely in the Craft Store.
Thanks so much for joining us at Creative With Stamps for this month's Flower Challenge :)
Jane Royston said…
Such a beautiful and clever project! I love how you stamped into the gesso. Thank you for joining us at Creative Artiste this month, Jane (DT) :) x http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk/
crafty-stamper said…
Absolutely brilliant project this is perfect for our challenge at http://avenue613.blogspot.co.uk/
Carol x
Fabulous creation! Thank you for joining us at The Artistic Stamper Creative Challenge
Unknown said…
Oh wow. What a fab project. Love all the different compartments. Thank you for joining our Anything Goes challenge again over at Craft for the Craic.
Best wishes,
Eithne :)
sarascloset said…
I am soooo happy this didn't make it to the trash can, because I think it is simply FABULOUS! I love the end result and your quotes are perfect for the process you went through! Great useful AND beautiful make! thank you for sharing this with us at A Vintage Journey! Hugs! Sara Emily DT
What a fabulous idea and decorated so beautifully. Love the vintage feel and all the layers you added. Thanks so much for joining in A Vintage Journey Challenge. Tracy x
Irene said…
Wonderful box!
Thank you for joining with us at Create and Inspire
Irene (DT Member)
Made In Borgo