Seaside Drawers ... using a Cake Slice Box ...

A long while ago ... well it seems eons ago ... the cake slice box was one of the first dies launched on Hochanda following Tonic Studios move ...


 and one of my samples was a little set of drawers ... see below ...

 :


... well, following on from this idea, I thought I might have a go at making the boxes in to a tower/column of drawers but as the idea progressed, the project grew and finally morphed in to this ...


The drawer units just looked "odd" standing all by their lonesome and needed "something" so after a considerable amount of "faff", I decided to join them together. I recently purchased some mount board off cuts from EBay and they came to me rescue. I strengthened the sides, created a back and bottom but still wasn't a 100% happy ...


Above shows the drawers on the left hand side and each has been a different type of opening but unified by using the label plaques. The MDF sea embellies are from Polkadoodles and can be found HERE.    The silver effect name label things are from Stampin Up but can't remember why I purchased them ... sorry! The drawers are fully functioning too ...


These are the right hand side drawers and again follow the same theme as the others, each with different opening etc. Ooopps, should add the papers are from Trimcraft called "Sail Away" and I'm sure I bought them in The Range ... I think ...


A view from above which shows the next addition. As I said earlier, I joined the drawer sets together and yet again, wasn't truly happy with the "look". Using the offcuts of mount board to create the sides, I made another drawer to fit the gap. The front of the drawer was another off cut from mount board sides as i had die cut them to create my edges.


... and yep, you guessed it ... still not 100% happy with the look! I think this was down to the fact that the draw was very low and now looked swamped in the gap which made me then think "why not add a shelf" ... as you do!!!


Gosh adding this shelf was fiddly as it really should have been added at the same time the sides were constructed to help hide all the gluing and supports etc. After great determination (and some expletives plus a sprinkling of me questioning my sanity), it came together and phew, I think I was finally happy with both the shape and design.


The decoration has kept to the sea theme and I have used some old netting (taken from a Halloween decoration), sea shells and drift wood. I am very fortunate as my youngest sister lives extremely close to a huge river estuary, which in turn enters the sea, therefore finding sea shells and drift wood is a very easy task. When we visit, I gather/harvest lots of interesting sea finds ready to decorate my projects. The glasses are a photo prop (from a well known £shop) and I thought they added a bit of fun.


I now have another version of this on the go at the moment with a slight twist, so watch this space. I'm also hoping to make it in to a video to share how the cake slice boxes are converted in to drawers.

Not feeling so bright today...  and no I'm not using it as an excuse to get out of the fencing. My stomach feels as if I am sailing on a boat during a particularly rough crossing, so will sign off now.

Have a great Sunday,

Lou
x x x


Products used:



Challenges:
A perfect time to craft - anything goes
Altered Ecletics - anything goes
Crafty Hazelnut - patterned papers
Dies R Us - shaped card or projects
Love to craft - anything goes
Mix It Up - anything goes
Rhedd's Creative Spirit - mixed media
WWODT - anything goes



Comments

Darlene said…
Well aren't you the clever one! This is fabulous! Thanks so much for playing in our ‘Shaped card/project’ challenge at Dies R Us! Please come back again soon!

Darlene (DRU Blog Leader)
DIES R US CHALLENGE BLOG
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please come for a visit.
Diane said…
WOW, what a lot of work, but beautiful work!! So very creative and a super fun project!! Thank you for joining our challenge at Dies R us!
Diane DRU DT {Nellies Nest}
Sandra Wright. said…
What a fantastic alteration,love how you have created it,great design features...
Thank you for joining in with this months challenge at Rhedd's Creative Spirit...x
Wow this looks amazing, such a lot of work. End result is brilliant.
Love it.
Thank you for sharing with us here today at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

Annette DT Registered Owners/Admin for World Wide Open Design Team Challenge


Back again, and again, great work.
Thank you for sharing with us over here at "A Perfect Time To Craft" and best of luck with your entry.

Annette DT for http://aperfecttimetocraft.blogspot.com.au/



Kathy Krug said…
This is jaw dropping creative. How you used the cake boxrs to make this just is so out of the box. Fabulous in every way. Thanks for sharing it with us at Dies R Us Challenge Blog. We hope to see more of your designs in future challenges.
kathy
DRU DT
Mel said…
Wow, this is really amazing, love love! Thank you for sharing with us over here at "A Perfect Time To Craft" and best of luck with your entry.

Melanie DT for http://aperfecttimetocraft.blogspot.com.au/...
Mel said…
I really love this, it's fabulous! Thank you for sharing with us over here at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

Melanie DT for  http://worldwideopendesignteamchallenge.blogspot.com.au/...
Well I sure am glad you kept on keepin on because the end result is terrific and awesome sauce! How clever and hilarious to read about the journey these drawers and da@$ shelf took haha! Wonderful theme and what a way to bring it all together. A truly enchanting design with oodles and oodles of details. I sure your belly has settled and the fence got done as well. :)

Thanks for joining us at Mix It Up! Hugz. ~Niki DT
Problem solving until your create something you love is the BEST, such wonderful details on your colourful and classy project.
Thank you for joining in with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit Challenge this May.
This is such a brilliant idea from a simple cake slice box die. And so much better than what the die was made for. Brilliant imagination. I love that this is functioning too. And I adore your seaweed!!!
Thanks for joining us at Altered Eclectics.
Lisa - AEDT