Adding colour to die cuts with Pan Pastels

The theme this fortnight at Pan Pastel Challenges is "One for the boys" and I decided that I wanted to make a "Dad" card ... not necessarily for Father's Day but for any occasion. I also wanted to show another way of using pan pastels in our everyday crafting, so I started by cutting out a lot of die cuts from off white (milk) linen effect card.

Here's what I came up with ..........


At least 90% of my die cuts have been coloured with pan pastels and I have used mainly colours from the Donna Dewbury Mixed Media set 2. Some of my die cuts have been coloured directly and others were covered in Versamark first and then coloured. The bigger star in this photo shows the colour of the original die cuts before they were "set upon"!!!


I also cut a heart/crown shape from a sizzix framelits die which I have coloured with Neutral Grey Shade first, then metallic pewter and finally a liberal coating of GraphIt Silver shaker pen. I adore the grungy effect and will definitely try this again.


The hearts and arrows are wood and were covered in Versamark first and then coloured. I love how they have come out, so vibrant. The stars are from Dutch Doobadoo and were given the same treatment but I couldn't resist adding a layer of GraphIt Gold shaker pen on top for added "zing" appeal!


All papers are from Teresa Collins Fabrications set and the alphabet are Thickers. All in all I am quite liking my card although I think I might have been a little too heavy handed with the embellies ... oh well. too late now to pull them off .... lol.

I'm going to have a restful day today as my lower back is aching due to a kidney infection and as I am back to work tomorrow, want to be fighting fit for the children (who will be hyper after a week off). Have a great Sunday everyone,

Lou
x x x

Products I have used:
Pan Pastel set - Donna Downey Mixed Media 2  Pewter - Metallic Pan Pastel  Silver - Metallic Pan Pastel  Glitter Shake - Graph'It Markers 
  Sizzix Framelits Cutting Dies Set of 3 FRAME, HEART W/CROWN 657555    


Studio Calico ~ Wood Veneer Hearts & Arrows  Cardboard/Kraft Art A5 - Stars  

I am entering my card in to the following challenges:
Allsorts - for the guys
My Sheri Crafts - masculine
Craftitude - pop it up
Jellypark - bold and bright
Simply Create - for a male
4 Crafty Chicks - anything goes
Delightful Sketches - it'a a guy thing
Moving along with the times - no image
Scrapbooker PHD - use die cuts
Crafting for all Seasons - boys will be boys
Paper Pretties - masculine

Comments

Wendy L said…
This is a great design, thanks for joining us at Allsorts, xxxx
Nancy said…
Lovely card, Lou! Those pastels give some really vibrant colours! Thank you for joining us at Jellypark Friends! :o)
So fab and funky - love the bold colours and the composition is full of life and movement - brilliant!
Alison x
brenda said…
A stunning masculine Lou card and so tactile, thanks so much for sharing with us at Allsorts this week.

B x
Denise @ kc242 said…
What a wonderful masculine card. Simply love your design. Thanks so much for joining us this week at Delightful Challenges.
Denise
Delightful Challenges DT
Marge said…
Clever idea for a "Dad" card and I LOVE those arrows (great minds?)!!! LOL!
Thanks for sharing with us @ My Sheri Crafts!!!
Claire said…
Hi Lou, wow I love this card the colours are stunning
Claire xx
Anjie said…
Great make make, I'm sure your Dad will love it.
Hugs
Anj
xx
Leanne said…
Nice stars, and the bold letters with Dad is awesome. I like the pattern papers too. Great job and thanks for playing our challenge at 4 Crafty Chicks.

Leanne DT@4 Crafty Chicks
kelly ledder said…
This is fantastic! Thanks for playing along with us at Moving along with the times.

Kelly xx
Peanut said…
WOWZER! So many delicious details, Lou! Fabby card, my friend!
hugs, Asha
Unknown said…
Thank you for playing along with our challenge at Jellypark - fab card, love the way you have used all the shapes in your design x
Anonymous said…
Perfect Male Card. love the Details you have used. Great image.
Thank you for joining us at Crafting for all seasons.
Hugs Elfie
Bianca said…
What a fab creation! I love the colours and your image. Thank you for joining us at Crafting for all Seasons! xx Bianca
JMC Creates said…
What a great idea I love to see innovative cards like this. Thanks for sharing Jacqui from Craftitude
Unknown said…
You were definitely not heavy handed on the embellishments. They really make the sentiment shine. I loved reading about how you colored the die cuts. Thanks for joining ScrapbookerPhD's die cut challenge.
Unknown said…
The pan pastel colors you used are so fun! Love the different arrows, stars, and harts, and how some of them are layered to make certain things pop! Thanks for entering into the Die Cut Challenge by Scrapbooker PhD!