So off I started using tissue tape and distress inks to create my background. Tim wanted people to use distress paint but surprisingly, I don't own any, so had to make do.
To give a paint effect, I covered the background in white pan pastel pearlescent medium. Next I stamped my images: "falling flowers" from Honey Doo Crafts and a butterfly from Indigo Blu.
On Tim's tag he used gesso to create his stencilled layers but instead I have used Maimeri Glass Gel and Premium Art Brands 12" characters stencil. I masked off the stamped images before covering my tag.
Now here is where things went dreadfully wrong. As per Tim's instructions, I covered the stencilled area with embossing powder BUT forgot to let it dry before blasting it with my heat gun. Oh the smell was dire, the medium bubbled and popped plus it dribbled everywhere. The wonderful stencilling was ruined and to add insult to injury, my tag looked awful. I was just about to throw it away, when I had an idea ...
Taking a sanding block, I sanded back all the raised, gooey areas and slowly felt a little more confident that I could resurrect my tag. When I was finally happy, I covered the raised stenciled areas with white pan pastel pearlescent medium, which appeared to calm everything down. However, it still looked "yuk" in my eyes, so I then went over areas with turquoise pan pastel.
Suddenly it looked as if my copper mess looked aged (copper patina effect)and I could finally see a way out of my "boo boo". Apologies, I forgot to take a photo at this point but hope you can see what I mean in in the photo below on my finished tag.
Using the same stamps as before and a piece of cloud effect paper, I stamped the butterfly using archival black ink and coloured them with distress inks. For the flowers I used perfect medium and went over this with the turquoise pan pastel. I coloured the flowers with the same pan pastel and then embossed all the stamped images with clear detail powder. Once cooled, I cut them all out ready to add to my tag.
Photo below shows how I have used the stamped images. For the butterfly bodies, I added some 7 Gypsies photo holders (secured with matching brads) and pearls to the flower centres. I added a Tim Holtz ticket to tie the stamped images together, adding some more 7 Gypsies metal embelishments.
I added a "found" sentiment, secured with brads. Using some waxed lace (?), one piece under lower flowers and another piece at the top secured with eyelets. I used a buckle at the top of my tag decorated with a piece of ribbon offcut.
The sentiment on my tag definitely matches how I now feel and although I love the textural feel and colour of my tags background, I don't think I'll be hurrying to try this technique out again. Right better hurry and get my tag on to the Love 2 Create blog as this is my DT project for the inspiration post this week.
Now I can relax and enjoy my Sunday. My youngest son and I are off out for the day, so catch up with everyone in the evening.
x x x
Products I used:
Craft for craic - wings
Left of centre - distress it
Time Out challenges - Grunge with embossing
Crafty Calendar - things with wings
Inkspirational - use at least 3 of the listed elements - I have used all 4 !