Explore, Dream, Discover - Mixed Media Dies

I'm a great fan of mixed media as I find it's one of the times I can truly relax when creating as there are no rules to follow; only the ones you make. It's a wonderfully liberating way of mixing random items, ephemera, fabric scraps, natural items etc and no one tells you 'no' - everything can, will and always works together. Morphing random items, paint or inky techniques, stencils, stationary is all part of the fun - just loose yourself in the process.

Saying all the above, we now have another arsenal to add to our mixed media goodies, NEW mixed media dies from Tonic Studios being launched on Hochanda. These dies chomp through a plethora of materials allowing you & I to create even more items to use in our projects - squeals with delight! So without further ado, here's one of my projects using the new dies ...


This was actually one of the last projects I made and thought it would be good to use up all the bits I had already die cut from previous projects. I began by covering a previously used canvas with white gesso, citrus green & peony pink mousse using different tools - scrapper, palate knife and of course, my fingers. I then covered my die cut elements in one of these colours, or in some cases all! The 'Cassandra's Ventana' frame was my starting point ...



Next came the 'Traditional Timepiece' clock - which has been layered - followed by the inner part of the frame & clock. I was going to stop at this point with the layers, when I discovered an used cog which I thought would look fab as a place for the clock hands to go.


As for the theme, I let fate decide that - well in fact hubby did! I asked my husband to pick out random items from a box of 'stuff' or should I say 'ephemera', (without looking) and this was my starting point regarding the decoration. He chose several stamps - taken from a letter from my aunt in the US - a postcard, some moss, fabric stickers, a rub-on & glitter leaves. Although I was happy with the selection, the glitter leaves were a stumbling block: thankfully the gesso came to the rescue ...!


I layered or placed all the items where I wanted them to go and was happy(ish) with how the canvas was progressing but ... always a but ... felt it needed something more. I added another die cut frame to showcase/frame the word 'discover', a few flowers and then the light bulb moment ... shells. I have a HUGE box of these from when I visited my sister as on the beach near where she lives, mounds & mounds of the most beautifully tiny shells are washed ashore.


My final, final piece of embellishment added was a plastic button, which are part of the Tonic Studio die packaging, slightly tickled with white gesso. Another afternoon flew by as I became thoroughly absorbed in to my canvas and reality hit me ... I needed to tidy up! This task was definitely not for the feint hearted 😏😌😁

Have you created a mixed media piece recently? If so, please leave a comment and a link, so I can pop over to see your project.

Have a great day everyone and thank you ever so much for your visit,

Lou
x x x

Products used (& links):

                                   Steam Cogs & Widgets                 Traditional Timepiece
                            Media Shim                     Clemetine's Glass            Cassandra's Ventana


I would like to enter my canvas in to the following challenges:
Hiding in my craft room - super scraps Saturday
Creative Artiste - anything mixed media goes
A bit more time to craft - anything goes
Altered Eclectics - anything mixed media
Classic Design Team - anything goes
Mix It Up - anything goes + layering
Not Just Cards - anything goes

Comments

This is lovely Thank you for sharing with us over here today at the Classic Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

Michelle DT Owner/Admin for http://classicdesignteamchallenge.blogspot.com.au/
Scrappin Sue said…
Wow so much detail looks great lots of dimension and texture so much to look at
Thank you for sharing at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenges x
Judy McKay said…
Lovely canvas. Great details , colours and textures. Thank you for joining us at Altered Eclectics this month. Judy DT
Andree said…
A wonderful canvas. Lovely layers of pretty details and fabulous textures.
Thank you for joining in with our September challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x
Miranda said…
What an awesome way to use up your scraps! Thanks for playing along at Hiding In My Craft Room!
Miranda DT
www.crafingwithmiranda.blogspot.com
Anne Wilding said…
A complete layering story Lou. Thank you for entering our comp this month at Mix It Up Challenge Blog ( Anne W MIUCB DT )
Great project, thank you for sharing with us at the Classic Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.
Carla DT