Doodling with stencils to create art journal pages & handmade cards - FULL WORKSHOP

Recently I released a new set of three stencils under the name "Shady Designs" via Dolly Dimples Crafts: this way that way, bursting out & angled leaf.

I want to share lots of inspiration with everyone using my collection of stamps, stencils, dies & papers. This is my first project idea - doodling with stencils to create an art journal page. After we know how to create the pattern using the design to create quick & effective handmade cards too.

Doodling with stencils by Lou Sims

I have created a FULL video workshop tutorial showing how I created the page & then coloured the design. Further details below.

My thoughts behind the stencil designs

When I created the stencils, I really wanted them to be used across a whole range of crafting styles from doodling, with inks & sprays, mixed media, art journaling and so much more. I am myself a crafter who adores crafting in lots of different ways & styles. It was important to me that crafters could also use the stencils in whatever was their chosen style or medium too.

The project today is using the stencils to create an A4 art journal page and it had not to be complicated either. I also wanted the design to then be quickly adapted to handmade cards.

Doodling with stencils by Lou Sims

I have also kept the colouring unfussy using Lyra Rembrandt Polycolor pencils. All the outlines have been made using an 005, 03 & 10 Sakura micron pens.


YouTube video

I have created a step by step FULL workshop style tutorial showing how to create the page, what stencils are used & full of hints & tips too.



Card making ideas

Using the skills learned in my YouTube video, Doodling with Stencils, I have then taken a portion of the pattern to create handmade cards. As I said earlier, it was important to me that the stencils could be used in whatever style of crafting sang to a crafters heart.

Doodling with stencils by Lou Sims

The same pattern has been recreated on a white card panel to fit a 7" x 5" card base. Again coloured using Lyra Rembrandt Polycolor pencils. All the outlines have been made using an 03 & 05 Sakura micron pens

Doodling with stencils by Lou Sims
Again taking the same design idea, it has been used to create a DL sized card. Coloured using Lyra Rembrandt Polycolor pencils. All the outlines have been made using an 03, 05 & 08 Sakura micron pens.


Who is Shady Designs?

Shady Designs is me, Lou Sims. Why the name? It all came about for two reasons. First: I love listening to rap music so I quickly got the nick name of "Sims Shady" . Second: I was very happy to be a designer in the shade and didn't feel the need to have my name on the packaging as to me the designs should be the focal point. So I suppose I was hiding in the shade ..! It was then decided that the brand be called Shady Designs because of a combination of the two reasons.

Charmain Barrett from Dolly Dimples Crafts approached me nearly 18 months ago asking if I was interested in having some of my doodles turned in to 


Inspiration ideas & videos for Shady Designs

This is the second video in my series of inspiration using all the stamps, stencils, papers & dies from my collection. The first video is a Facebook Live I did before the official launch on The Craft Store sharing my thoughts behind the collection -

  • How I saw it working across a range of crafts
  • How the stamp designs would help create backgrounds 
  • How the stamp designs could help you build up your background stamping ideas
  • Using the stamp designs to create mandala and art journal pages
  • How the stencils could be used in doodling, mixed media projects & art journals
... and this was only some of my ideas & thoughts. I'm still creating and learning new ideas and techniques with my collection which I will be sharing with you all.


Finally can I say a
💖  HUGE THANK YOU ðŸ’–
to everyone that bought the collection and I hope you have as much fun creating with it as I have. Please do share your ideas with me by tagging me on any of my social media pages (all links at top of my blog). Going love seeing how you have created with it too.

Many, many thanks & will be back soon with another blog post & video showing another way to use my first collection.

Lou
xxx


Comments

KarinsArtScrap said…
gorgeous cards Lou love the one with the orange flowers
Gr Karin
Julie said…
I love your style Lou. Beautiful cards, you are so talented.