Reduce, reuse, and create: Making cards with leftover scrapbook papers

Do you have a stash of leftover scrapbook papers and embellishments? If so, don't let them go to waste! You can use them to create beautiful and unique handmade cards. In this blog post, we'll share some tips and ideas for using leftover scrapbook papers and embellishments to make cards.

Reduce, reuse, and create: Making cards with leftover scrapbook papers. Card ideas by Lou Sims

I found an old prep bag full of "bits" & rather than throw away, I made 3 quick cards. These were from Ciao Bella Paper's Delta Collection.

- - - - - 💙 - - - - -

Tips for using leftover scrapbook papers:

  • Choose colors and patterns that complement each other. When selecting scrapbook papers and embellishments for your cards, keep in mind the overall tone and style you're going for. Try to choose colors and patterns that complement each other to create a cohesive look.
  • Don't be afraid to experiment. There are no rules when it comes to card making! Feel free to experiment with different techniques and combinations of materials to create unique and personalized cards.
  • Layer different elements to create depth. One way to add visual interest to your cards is to layer different elements. For example, you could layer a piece of patterned scrapbook paper over a piece of solid-colored cardstock. Or, you could layer different embellishments, such as stickers, washi tape, and die-cuts.
  • Cut in to the remaining papers to make ephemera or embellishment pieces. This makes the leftover papers go even further!

- - - - - 💙 - - - - -

Where to begin?

I began by sorting our all the papers and putting co-ordinating designs / colours together. Looking through the other elements eg: toppers, images, sentiments, I decided what would go with the papers I had split.

Any "bits" that I was unsure about, I made a separate pile with the intention of picking any items that would work with my designs as they came to life.

All these bits are from different parts of the Ciao Bella Paper Delta Collection: 12" papers, 6" papers, A4 Creative Pad, stamp sets. My "get out of jail card" because I cannot remember which came from which 😊

- - - - - 💙 - - - - -

What did I make?

Card idea #1

Reduce, reuse, and create: Making cards with leftover scrapbook papers. Card ideas by Lou Sims

For this card, I grouped together wood effect papers and toppers. I matted the pieces on to ivory card and then created the different layers. As one of the papers had the bird images, the topper worked with the dreamcatcher worked perfectly. The greens & blues in the sentiment, also worked brilliantly with the different papers. Card finished off with a few faux gems.

Card idea #2

Reduce, reuse, and create: Making cards with leftover scrapbook papers. Card ideas by Lou Sims

I think in my head, the blues, oranges & rust colours were why I grouped all these together. Whilst they all go, I also look at the card and think "do they really?" I rounded all the corners of each panel to match the arched shaped topper but wonder if I had left them square, it would have been better? I added a few die cuts in to the design to break up the papers.

Card idea #3

Reduce, reuse, and create: Making cards with leftover scrapbook papers. Card ideas by Lou Sims

For this card, I had grouped papers and embellishments that had a feather theme. These wee matted on to ivory card and arranged on to the card base. I found the bird image on a topper and fussy cut it out. I loved the look of the handstitched sentiment topper and chose that to go on my card. I finished off with some feather die cuts and a dreamcatcher.

- - - - - 💙 - - - - -

Upcycling leftover scrapbook papers and embellishments to make cards is a great way to save money, reduce waste, and be creative. By following the tips above, you can create unique cards.

Until next time, take care,

Lou
xxx

Comments