From Autumn to Winter: One Card Design, Two Colour Palettes
Sometimes you don't need a complicated card design to create something that catches the eye. Changing the colours can completely transform the feel of a project.
This card started with autumn in mind, using warm oranges, reds and browns. But once I'd finished it, I couldn't resist trying the same idea again in shades of blue - and suddenly it felt much more like winter.
The basic design is the same for both cards. What changes is the colour palette, and it's a good reminder that you don't always need a new idea to create something different.
Building the card
I started with a square piece of card and blended Distress Inks around the edges, leaving the centre lighter.
I wasn't looking for a perfectly even blend. The variation in colour gives the stamped design somewhere to sit and helps create a little more depth in what is otherwise a fairly simple background.
I then stamped the main circular design into the centre using Versafine Clair Fallen Leaves.
One of the things I like about this particular style of stamp is that it gives you a strong focal point without needing lots of additional layers.
Building colour into the circle
The smaller solid circle stamp is what I think of as an "ink plate". You can stamp it in one solid colour, but you can also have a little play with your inks.
For this card, I started with a lighter shade and then added a darker colour around the edges. It gives the circle more variation and stops it looking completely flat.
It's a simple technique, but it's one of those little things that can make a difference.
Don't be afraid to stamp more than you need
I stamped some of the smaller accessory images onto another piece of card, coloured them and then cut them out to add to the design.
And yes, I did stamp more than I needed!
I'm a firm believer in the "I'll make a few extra just in case" approach. It is much nicer having a spare piece ready to try somewhere than wishing you'd stamped another one after you've already cleaned everything away.
I then added the pieces around the main circle, using 3D foam pads in places to give the card a little dimension.
A few finishing touches - including the sentiment - brought the design together.
Looking back, I think a few small gold or green embellishments would have worked beautifully too. Sometimes you only know what a card needs once you've stepped away from it for a moment.
What happens when you change the colour?
This is probably my favourite part of the project. I liked the autumn version, but I wondered what would happen if I kept the design exactly the same and simply changed the colour palette.
So I made another one in blue.
And suddenly it became a winter card.
The design hasn't changed. The stamps haven't changed. The basic construction hasn't changed.
The colour has done all the work
It's something I think is worth remembering when you're stuck for an idea. Rather than starting a completely new project, try taking something you've already made and changing one element.
Try:
- a completely different colour palette
- warm colours instead of cool
- bright colours instead of muted
- a monochromatic version
- or even a combination of colours you wouldn't normally put together.
You might surprise yourself. I certainly did with the blue version!
Watch the original process
I originally filmed this project as part of a Crafting Together with All Brands YouTube project, so if you'd like to see the card being made, you can watch the original video below.
The written post is here if you'd rather dip into the individual ideas and techniques, but the video is there if you'd like to see how the layers were built.
And that, for me, is one of the things I enjoy about cardmaking. Sometimes the starting point is a particular stamp or technique. Other times it's simply a colour combination that makes you want to see where it takes you..
Until next time, take care,
xxx
- Dyan Reaveley Small Creative Journal
- Shady Designs Oh So Circular stamp set
- Shady Designs Blooming Circles stamp set
- Distress Ink
- Versafine Clair Fallen Leaves
- Cardstock
- Adhesive and 3D foam pads
- Sentiment
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
Comments