From Scraps to Tags: Turning Leftover Pieces into Cardmaking Ideas
I often find that after finishing a card or background, I’m left with lots of leftover pieces - small offcuts, stamped scraps, and bits that don’t quite feel like a finished project on their own.
Instead of throwing them away, I like to turn them into something useful. In this post, I’m sharing how I transformed some leftover pieces into simple tags and embellishments that could then be used in another cardmaking project.
It’s a really easy way to extend what you’ve already made and get more from your creative process, without starting from scratch again.
Gather your scraps!
While tidying through some old "demo bags" a wee while ago, rather than binning the pieces, I thought I could turn them into tags for future projects. I did share how I created them in a reel, which you can watch below.
Once the tags were finished, rather than simply "file" them away again, I decided to use them straight away and create a card.
I began by edging each tag with a black pen. This gave them a subtle outline and helped each one stand out when they were layered together.
.png)
I found a panel I had already die cut and added a few light splats with yellow and pink Posca pens. I wanted these to be very subtle so they didn't take away from the tags themselves.
I added three 3D foam pads to each tag and began arranging them on the panel. I always do a dry run before sticking anything in place and, after playing around with the arrangement, decided the design would work better in landscape.
I secured the excess twine to the back of the card - again using 3D foam pads - added more pads and then attached the whole panel to a black card base.
A different way of looking at leftovers
I’ve started to see leftover pieces as part of the creative process rather than the end of it.
Those little bits that might initially look too small, too random or simply not useful can become the starting point for something completely different. In this case, they became tags - and those tags then became the main feature of another card.
As an FYI, the main stamp set I used to create the original pieces was the Shady Designs Frame By Frame stamp set.
Sometimes it’s worth taking a second look before putting those scraps in the bin. You never know what they might become.
xxx
.png)
.png)
.png)
Comments