When I Lose My Creative Mojo: 3 Simple Ways I Get Back into Making
We've all had those moments when the ideas just don't seem to flow and starting something new feels like hard work. I've certainly had them.
When my creative mojo disappears, I've found that trying to force myself to come up with a brilliant new idea usually doesn't help. Instead, I like to make things easier for myself - fewer choices, familiar supplies and no pressure to create a masterpiece.
Recently, while tidying my craft space, I found a bag of random leftovers from previous projects: punched tags, a die-cut frame, a stencil mop-up piece, stamped images and little strips of white card.
My first thought was to "file them" - which, in reality, meant putting them in the bin! But I needed a break from tidying, so I wondered if I could turn some of those bits into something instead.
That little change of focus resulted in three cards - and reminded me that sometimes getting your mojo back isn't about finding a brilliant new idea. It's about making it easier to start.
Supplies used:
- Distress Oxide Ink - Mermaid Lagoon and Twisted Citron
- Stencils for extra detail. I used my 'Hit The Note', Hanging Garden and Moroccan Trellis Stencils
- Glue and/or 3D foam pads
- White card (from my stash)
- Stamped flower images and extras from my stash
- Sequins (from my stash)
Card Idea 1: Mop Up stencil background & a simple focal point
The flowers have also been stamped in the same colours so a perfect match. This does make think this may have actually been a demo idea because of all the coordinating pieces! I layered everything up and added a sentiment.
Card Idea 2: Stenciled Focal Point on a Clean Background
Using the same ink colours and stencil, I decorated two of the tag shapes. With a few bits from my bit box - that's a box of stamped & cut out images (various collections & usually uncoloured) - I made the card up. Initially I laid the tags on top of each other but it looked "naff" so I grabbed a piece of twine and made the tags appear as if strung together.
Card Idea #3: Different Parts of the stencil
The power of limiting your choices
When my mojo is missing, I find that having too many products and possibilities can make things worse. Limiting the choices gives me somewhere to start.
- Simplicity & speed: fewer choices mean quicker decisions.
- Cohesion: using the same colours makes everything feel as though it belongs together.
- Focus on design: choosing one main element - in this case, stencils - gives the project direction.
- Budget friendly: using what you already have can be a very good reason to shop your stash!
What do you do when your mojo disappears?
For me, this little exercise was a reminder that getting unstuck doesn't always require a new product, a completely new idea or a sudden burst of inspiration.
Sometimes it helps to make the choices smaller.
Choose two colours. Pick one stencil. Use the scraps sitting on your desk. Give yourself permission to make something that doesn't need to be perfect.
You might surprise yourself with what appears when you stop trying so hard to be creative.
And if you have a favourite way of getting your creative mojo back, I'd love to hear it. We can all get stuck in the same creative rut sometimes, and someone else's simple idea might be exactly what another crafter needs.
Until next time, take care,
Lou

.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
Comments