From Glass Jar to Vase: An Alcohol Ink Upcycling Project Inspired by Sweet Peas
Every morning as I left for work, I couldn't help but notice the sweet peas that have taken over one corner of our front garden. They weren't planned – they simply appeared, self-seeded from somewhere, and this year they've been more beautiful than ever.
I couldn't resist bringing a few indoors... and that's when I realised I didn't actually own a vase that suited their delicate stems.
Several months ago I bought some glass jars from Amazon with an idea I had floating around in my head for my son's wedding as outside table decorations. Plans changed and they were still sitting there. It's simple shape were perfect for a handful of sweet peas. It just needed a little personality.
If you'd like to see the transformation from plain glass jar to finished vase, here's the short reel.
There were plenty of directions I could have gone in. Rice papers, glass paints, textured finishes... even terracotta effects crossed my mind.
In the end I reached for alcohol inks. They dry quickly, they're wonderfully vibrant and, most importantly, they still allow the light to shine through the glass.
Now the tricky part, what colours? The sweet peas were a beautiful vibrant fuchsia, but although that colour suited the flowers, it isn't really me. Instead I reached for my favourite colour — blue. It still complemented the blooms but also meant I'd continue using the jar long after the sweet peas had finished flowering.
I started by painting in the lower elements and then using a blending felt, added more colour to the rest of the jar. Watching the colours spread across the glass reminded me why I enjoy working with alcohol inks. They have a mind of their own, but that's part of the fun.
If you've followed me for a while, you'll know I struggle with the idea of "enough is enough". I'm forever adding one more detail! This jar already had some beautifully raised embossed elements, so I decided they deserved a little attention too.
My first thought was gilding wax, but I knew I'd probably catch the surrounding glass by accident. Instead I reached for a Zig Posterman Silver marker. It took a little longer, but it gave me exactly the control I wanted. I now felt that I had transformed the glass jar into a decorative vase!
Once everything was finished, I headed back into the garden to pick another handful of sweet peas. Seeing them arranged in their newly transformed vase made me smile. It's a small project, but sometimes those are the most satisfying. Even more rewarding to me, is that when the sweet peas have stopped flowering, I can look at the jar and it reminds me of that memory.
As I stood looking at the finished vase, my eyes wandered to the cupboard under the sink where several plain terracotta plant pots are waiting their turn. I can already imagine how I'd transform them.
But then I realised something. The reason they're still sitting there isn't because I haven't had the time. It's because, although I love crafting, I often need a reason to begin. This little vase started with sweet peas growing in the garden, and perhaps that's why it feels a little more special than simply decorating something for the sake of it.
This simple project transformed a plain glass jar into a decorative vase using alcohol inks and a metallic marker. It's an easy upcycling idea that's perfect for displaying garden flowers, fresh blooms or dried arrangements, and a lovely way to give an everyday object a new purpose.
Do you keep jars, bottles or plant pots because you know they'll come in useful one day? Perhaps this is the nudge you need to finally transform one of them!
Until next time, take care,
xxx
.jpg)






.jpg)
.jpg)
Comments