Shady Designs Twinkle Time: A pretty mixed media Christmas card

Get ready to add a touch of magic to your Christmas card crafting with Shady Designs' Twinkle Time stamp set! This blog post will guide you through creating a stunning, pretty, mixed media Christmas card using this versatile set.

Shady Designs Twinkle Time stamp set. Handmade card idea by Lou Sims

You do not always need a huge amount of supplies to make this style of mixed media card as layering or stamping can create the look of many layers.

- - - - - 💙 - - - - - 

It's time to twinkle!

Shady Designs Twinkle Time A6 stamp set is part of the Shady Designs Festive Fusion Collection. There is a lot of detail in the stamp itself which you can colour individual pieces or alternatively, emboss and just fill with one colour.

Shady Designs Twinkle Time stamp set by Lou Sims

This blog post is going to be looking at colouring the main star image simply as the background for the cards is layered.

- - - - - 💙 - - - - -

Building the background:

For the background on both my cards, I wanted to create a fluid, watery effect and have used Pretty Gets Gritty Explosion Powders. The powders also give a beautiful, shimmery effect to the backgrounds which I think works wonderfully with the star as the focal point.

I have experimented with two different colour ways but kept the overall design the same, which I think has changed both the impact & mood.

- - - - - 💙 - - - - -

Card idea #1 - 6" x 6" finished card
Supplies: 



Card idea #2 - 5" x 7" finished card


- - - - - 💙 - - - - -

Stamping Magic:

I have stamped both stars in black Versafine Clair Nocturne but I have coloured all the elements of the star in the one colour: 
  • one with water colour pencils
  • the other with gold ink
Using the Shady Designs A7 Winter Wishes background stamp, I stamped the complete image 3 times:
  • one with a complimentary ink colour
  • one with black ink

Mixed Media Magic:
To create my backgrounds, I have used Pretty Gets Gritty Explosion Powders on a wet water colour card. I let the backgrounds dry naturally.

To create further layers, you could -
  • Use a stencil with a complimentary ink or even texture paste/gel medium
  • Colour your texture paste/gel medium with the same Explosion Powders used to make the background & use through a stencil
  • Stamp the background and emboss with different coloured embossing powders.

Finishing Touches:

Add additional stamped elements 
Instead of a stamped greeting, add a personal touch with a handwritten message
Add texture with sari ribbon or lace instead of stamped images

- - - - - 💙 - - - - -

You can follow my crafting journey via all my different social media accounts. Sharing & saving posts or videos is a fantastic way to share all my ideas too.

Instagram (@simslou)
Facebook (Lou Sims)

Finally, check out my Pinterest page where I also record all the different Shady Designs projects I have created HERE.


Until next time, take care,

Lou
xxx


Comments