A Different Way to Use Stencils: Vellum Backgrounds for Cardmaking
I usually reach for inks, pastes or sprays when I'm using a stencil, but sometimes it's good to stop and ask, “What else could I do with this?”
This time I reached for a piece of vellum instead.
.png)
Running a stencil through a die-cutting machine creates a subtle embossed pattern in the vellum, giving you a textured background without adding any colour at all. Even better, turn the vellum over and you get the debossed version - and suddenly the same stencil looks completely different.
I made two cards using the same basic idea to see just how much difference that small change could make.
Embossed vellum
For the first card, I ran a piece of vellum through my die-cutting machine with the Hanging Garden stencil.
The result is a lovely raised pattern, but because it's vellum it remains quite subtle. I liked that - it gives you texture without creating a really heavy background.

I created a sturdy card front by layering four die-cut frames together, sandwiching the vellum between the layers so that the edges were neatly hidden.
.png)
.png)
Turn it over...
.png)
.png)
I kept the basic construction the same but changed the frame and colours to give the card a different feel.
It's a good reminder that sometimes you don't need another stencil or another technique. Simply changing how you use what you already have can give you another result.
YouTube short video?
I also made a short YouTube video showing two other ways I've used vellum in cardmaking, including adding an inky background to an embossed design. If you'd like to see those ideas in action, you can watch it below
I think my favourite thing about this technique is that it doesn't require anything particularly complicated. A piece of vellum, a stencil and a die-cutting machine give you a completely different way of creating a background.
And then there's the added bonus of turning the vellum over and discovering that the debossed side gives you another look altogether.
Sometimes the most useful techniques are the ones that make you look at something you already own in a slightly different way.
Comments